Divorce Lawyer Brisbane

Home / Legal Services / Divorce

In Queensland, a divorce can be obtained by applying to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. The process of obtaining a divorce is dependent on a number of factors, including how long you were together and how long you have been separated for. In these circumstances, extra conditions may apply. Although you may choose to file for divorce yourself (as opposed to using a divorce solicitor), you should always seek advice with experienced divorce lawyer before proceeding with the application to prevent issues arising. Our divorce lawyers can provide you with pragmatic advice at a reasonable cost.  

When can I get divorced?

If your marriage has broken down with no chance of reconciliation, you may be eligible to apply for a divorce.

You can apply for a divorce in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia if you or your partner is an Australian citizen or resident. You are eligible to apply for a divorce application even if you were married overseas or if you do not know where your partner is, provided you live in Australia.

You must be able to demonstrate that you have been separated from your ex-partner for at least 12 months to be eligible for a divorce. If you were married for less than two years extra conditions apply, please contact our divorce lawyers Brisbane for information regarding these extra conditions.

Can I do my own?

You may choose to obtain a divorce independently. However, you will be required to pay a fee regardless of whether you do it yourself or with a divorce lawyer.  If you want to take the stress and emotion out of doing it yourself, we offer a Fixed Fee Divorce service for submitting a Divorce Application and attending a Divorce Hearing.

Feeling Confused?

Complications sometimes arise, including in relation to separations under the same roof and service of divorce proceedings. The Love Family separation lawyers can help you work through these difficulties to help achieve the best possible outcome.

Important Note

A divorce does not deal with arrangements for your children or a split of the matrimonial assets after separation.  For more information about how to put arrangements in place for your children please click here or how to deal with the matrimonial assets please click here.
Click here to book a $99 initial consultation